Monday 30 March 2009

Claes Oldenburg - "Plantoir 2001"

4th Encounter
Today, 16th of March of 2009 at 3pm I am seated in the same bench for what should be my last encounter in this odyssey.
Claes Oldenburg and Van Bruggen are not unknown names for me anymore they now make part of my universe of familiar artists.
I can see at this exact moment a shadow of almost twice the size of the Plantoir. What an impressive view! Once again, I feel so small!
This month or so I had between encounters made aware of a coincidence. In some sense there is a relation between my approach to Plantoir and Claes Oldenburg’s first public reception. At the beginning of his career Oldenburg’s work was not appreciated, it is even said that it elicited public ridicule. It took him (and others) some time to enlarge the definition of art into something where is pieces could fit. He had to challenge traditional assumptions. The same ones I kept in my head for long time and that didn’t allow me to smile and simply enjoy his work. Against what most people believe, I don’t think Oldenburg’s work change the way we perceive our everyday world I do believe it has a fundamental place on bringing fun, humor into the art those days.
Just as a curiosity, Plantoir was made as a feminine counterpart of “Trowel” (see photo)

No comments:

Post a Comment