Monday 30 March 2009

Claes Oldenburg - "Plantoir 2001"

3rd Encounter
One more time… One more encounter with this intriguing giant object/sculpture. I ask myself why I’ve decided to write about something I couldn’t immediately understand. Wouldn’t it be easier to write about a piece I like, something that touched my senses right away? Maybe this was exactly the point, forcing myself to develop a critical approach to an immediately indecipherable piece of art. By other hand I have to confess that from the first moment, for some unknown reason, it caught my attention.
For all this time I was possibly trapped in that old notion that pieces of art need to have some kind of profound definition. If we look at Pop Art, where Claes Oldenburg is seen, among Andy Warhol and Roy Lichenstein, as being its most important American representative, we understand that a profound definition is exactly what he is avoiding. Pop Art emphasizes the banal elements in opposition to elitist culture and Claes Oldenburg, specifically, is believed to be making fun of that previous status of art.
Unfortunately as a trowel doesn’t play a vital role in my particular existence I was impelled to think at this particular sculpture as exaggerated in its emptiness, as a consciousness void.

No comments:

Post a Comment