Monday 30 March 2009

Claes Oldenburg - "Plantoir 2001"

1st Encounter
It was a sunny day in April. I went to “Fundacao de Serralves” - Porto, Portugal to see a Raushenberg exhibition. As I was leaving I decided to go for a walk on those amazing gardens they have around the main building. This was the moment I first got in touch with Claes Oldenburg work.
As I was walking I come across this fun, huge trowel dug in the middle of one of the gardens. It surprised me that the summer workshop had started this early and that kids had made such a big object. I even questioned if it had been there since the year before.
I truly don’t know if this superficial approach to Oldenburg’s work had anything to do with what I had just seen at the exhibition. Maybe my head was miles away…
Finally, I was able to find the slab so well hidden on the plants and when I understood the importance of such work I got really intrigued. Why would someone recreate a trowel in such proportion? What’s with this object that I don’t see? Was it done for some specific occasion or space? The colors: red, orange and silver. Basic, almost like a funny joke! I couldn’t really understand… From this first contact all I could retain was a pile of doubts and probably some kind of fresh, funny feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment