Monday 30 March 2009

Claes Oldenburg - "Plantoir 2001"

2nd Encounter
Here I am again at “Fundacao de Serralves”. This time I’ve decided to seat on a bench in order to relax, enjoy the piece of art I have in front of me. Since my last visit I realized that maybe I needed more time to fully appreciate it and try to understand the reason for this piece to have such recognition.
I’ve been trough all the technical aspects of it. It’s perfectly built, the scale seems perfect, the colors are strong.
On my purest innocence I keep searching for something more, something I can’t see straight away. Can’t seem to find it! Don’t even know where to start this search. Could try to develop some kind of notions about the significance of the object itself, or maybe the colors, or even maybe the relation with the place where it stands. As this is not working I’ll try, at least, to let some emotion arise… Apart for the same funny feeling I had on my first encounter I can only feel very small in comparison to this gigantic object.
Although I’ve avoided any deep research until this moment I know that this is exactly what Claes Oldenburg and Van Bruggen do. They recreate ordinary objects in a larger scale.

No comments:

Post a Comment